18 March 2008

Word of the Day: Scurf


I looked this word up again and got a slightly different definition than the one i had when i used it in one of my books...

scurf

1. Thin dry scales or scabs upon the body; especially, thin scales exfoliated from the cuticle, particularly of the scalp; dandruff.

2. Hence, the foul remains of anything adherent. "The scurf is worn away of each committed crime." (Dryden)

3. Anything like flakes or scales adhering to a surface. "There stood a hill not far, whose grisly top Belched fire and rolling smoke; the rest entire Shone with a glossy scurf." (Milton)

4. Minute membranous scales on the surface of some leaves, as in the goosefoot.

My previous understanding of the word came from someone in the medical field--who was, perhaps, off the mark. I used it to describe the sleep that appears in your eyes when you're awake (ironically). Other names I considered: Sleepy Dirt. Croutons. Eye Boogers (the moniker I dislike the most). Some things are just gross. I can say that knowing i wrote an entire post about that special time of the month-- (Behorned Cleated Demon & The Exxon Valdez).

More recently, it has been called Rheum.

I happen to be a factory for the stuff. Not sure why. Do i cry in my sleep? Do little tiny creatures come and place it there in the night, and then steal away, giggling? Mine is sort of like rock salt. When I rub my eyes, the little sleepy-salt scratches the sensitive skin there, and then i feel like I have cuts at the corners of my eyes. I've learned to use a warm compress first.

But when i was writing Achilles Forjan, I needed a new way to say it, and i ended up posting to some medical terminology site and was informed that the word I sought was, Scurf.

To look at it, I thought it could also be a new version of a popular water sport, ala,

"Sweeping the country's oceans--Scurfing. Instead of using a surfboard, you use a scarf."
Many have died.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: