14 October 2008

The Benefits of Well-Feeding


Though i have had moments--and those moments often stretched into days and weeks and sometimes months--of a Dry Writing Well...I should never allow myself to worry about it too actively. I always reach a point where my well is filled again, to overflowing, and i feel that handling the burgeoning water of writing would require me to clone myself. Complete with an inflatable raft.

Like now. After finishing my 13th book, I fell into one of those dry wells, and even worried about it. Yet, here i am with 8 or 9 new books yanking at my head, and I can't seem to focus on any one long enough to finish it because they all have a voice and they are all talking at the same time. Here's a list of those books clamoring for my attention:

1. Supernatural Hypocrisy: The Cognitive Dissonance of God Cosmology
My very personal, yet timely examination of what i believe, how that's changed, and why. This one is already about 500 pages, and that's after i removed half of the content. Now there are at least two more books stemming from that cut material.

2. Somewhere Else- A novel about a walk-in, which explores some esoteric spiritual themes, with generous servings of humor.

3. Another Justice (novel version)-based on my screenplay of the same name, about the violation of a gay woman, and her flirtation with vigilantism and the ethical questions it inspires.

4. Random Act of Blindness (novel version)-an erotic lesbian tale that seeks to eloquently offer multidimensional meat to the this often superficial genre; characters a reader can truly invest in and care about.

5. Quintessence -this began as a short story, then became a novella, and now I am expanding it to novel-length. It entails the adventure of a young synesthete, as he finds himself in an alternate reality, but one of his own. Explores many of our new cosmological and Quantum physics and mechanics-based ideas.

6. The Misadventures of No One Famous (memoir)-this was originally written during a time in my past when i became homeless and crippled and I lived in my van, and typed this manuscript to keep myself from going crazy.

7. Be Your Own Best Editor: Proofing, Revision and Formatting in MS Word- I have learned quite a lot about the craft of writing in the last 10 years, to include the skills of formatting, editing, and typography, using Word. In this, i share those tips and insights.

8. Alliteration of Idiots: The Triumvirate of Ruin is Religion, Greed, and Ignorance
--an offshoot of the above mentioned "Supernatural Hypocrisy."

9. Cosmology leftovers--people, human nature relationships etc., that i couldn't' fit into SH

10. ISO, part 2-as yet unnamed. Dating, relationships and sex in the lesbian culture.

11. Super Futuristic: Changing the Future, One Idea at a Time- a collection i hope will develop from one of my website/blogs in which regular people think-tank their way through this society's problems.

I have been reading voraciously, and my well is overflowing. It's hard to choose each morning, which project i will work on. This is usually determined by what is on my mind when i wake up, and what I am jotting notes about before i even get out of bed.

So, i would say to any of you who suffer from writer's block--the solution is probably about inundating your consciousness with outside materials and research, talking about it with other thoughtful people as often as you can.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: